Thursday, December 1, 2011

#17: Again



It was a race against time and everyone was against me. My feet pounded against the icy pavement and my heart was ready to reject itself from my chest. The moon followed me; I could feel the face of God looking down on me.
“Forgive me, Father.” I said aloud. “I know I have sinned…but I am a monster. I can’t stop.” Finally, I saw the massive clearing of the wood line; a part of me sighed with relief but when I saw his dark silhouette, another part of me wanted to turn and run away from him…Again.
He shouldn’t have come.
I warned him.
He was always so stubborn.
I loved him so.
I slowed down but kept my ears and body alert. I didn’t know who or what would be watching us. He smiled at me from our short distance; his hands were in the pockets of his black hoodie and his dark eyes sparkled even in darkness. He started to walk toward me.
“Stay where you are,” I warned him. He stopped, keeping his eyes on me. The sparkle in his eye faded and he stared at me blankly.
“Trace…” he called.
“Please,” I begged. “Don’t make this harder than it already is,” I said.
“Tracey, please…” he stopped and chewed on his bottom lip.
“Why are you here?”
“I needed to see you.” He answered quickly.
“Drew, it’s not safe for you…or me.”
“Then why did you come when I asked you to?” He questioned. He knew the answer.
And so did I. But I also knew what was at stake if I stayed any longer.
His life and possibly mine.
“I came to say goodbye.” I finally replied.
“Goodbye?” He repeated. “Tracey, you can’t…”
“This is for the best,” I interjected.
“The best? What?”
“Yes it is...”
“No it’s not, Tracey and you know that!” He bellowed. “I will not let you leave me…again.” I had no response for Drew’s final words but my heart did. “If you go…then I go.” He said boldly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment